Sunday, April 29, 2012

Andy Sees the Big Scope




Andy got to see the big scope at Fernbank Science Center for the first time yesterday. I practically grew up at Fernbank, so this was a big deal to me. The first time I remember going there was in 1982 on the way to watch Columbia go up for STS-5, but I know this wasn't the first time I was there. I was also there for summer classes in the early 80's,  STT magnet program in the mid '80's, Independent Studies in the early 90's, and I did a project here for a technical writing class I took at UGA in the mid 90s. This telescope is why I wanted to be an astronomer1, and a good 50% of the reason I turned into the physics geek I did  - the other 50% being my dad. So yeah, I was thrilled that Andy spent about an hour up there running from the big scope on Venus, a small solar telescope watching the sun, and later in the afternoon, watching the moon rise over the rim of the dome.  I hope that he has as much fun at this place as I did growing up.

1And one of these days I may still get that degree. Granted, if I am taking classes when Andy is ready for college, that'll probably scare him off from GT :)

No comments:

Post a Comment